3/18/11

Baked Fresh Cod with Crab Meat Stuffing

Serves 6
Prep time: 15-20 mins
Total time: 45-60 mins


To make it more quick and easy, the filets can be made without the “Sauce”. Just place in a bake dish drizzled with EVOO. Also, instead of “Bread Crumb Topping”, you could just sprinkle the breadcrumbs alone on top of filets.


Ingredients:

6 large Cod filets (flounder or catfish etc…)

Sauce:

½ cup Chicken Broth
The juice of one Lemon (zest lemon first)
1 TBS Lemon Zest
3 TBS Butter, melted
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp Parsley
Salt and pepper

Crab Meat Stuffing:

8oz Crabmeat (fresh, canned or imitation)
2 cups Italian style bread crumbs
2 TBS Parmesan cheese
3 TBS butter, melted
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
½ TBS parsley
2 eggs, beaten
1 TBS Olive Oil
Salt, pepper and paprika

Bread Crumb Topping:

½ cup Italian bread crumbs
1 TBS butter, melted
Lemon zest

Pinch of Parsley

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine all the “Sauce” ingredients and pour into a bake dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
Combine all “Bread Crumb Topping” together in a small bowl.

Divide the stuffing into 6 even amounts. Lay out the filets on a cutting board and place the filling in the middle of each filet. Gather the two sides up covering the stuffing, overlapping the ends and use a toothpick or two to hold it closed.

Place stuffed filets ends side down in the bake dish. Brush on (or drizzle) a little EVOO all over the filets, top with Bread Crumb Topping. Bake for approx 30 mins or until bread crumbs are browned and fish is flaky.

Serve over orzo or rice and spoon sauce over and around each filet before serving.

6 comments:

  1. Choose to make this on a week night after a long day at work. What was I thinking? It was totally worth it....trying to grt my family to eat fish once a week and they loved it. I only used half the bread crumbs on the stuffing.....made a great left over lunch the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is so crazy! I got the notification of your comment and I just finished cleaning up from dinner and I mAde the exact thing that you commented on tonight! It is a great dish and everybody loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this tonight but substituted lobster (canned) for the crab meat. I made it for two of use with two filets so I cut the bread crumb topping and the stuffing in thirds. However I only cut the sauce in half. It worked out perfectly. My husband said it was better than many cod dishes he has had in restaurants!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds awesome Cin! I need to try it with Lobster soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought 2 cups of breadcrumbs was too much, I was right, the stuffing was horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/15/2022

    I use sleeve of crushed townhouse crackers and the rest panko, lil cooking wine also, chopped find celery, old bay . Make ahead overnight then add fish on top.💕

    ReplyDelete