Nancy's Koettbullar (Swedish Meatballs)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup cream, half and half
4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
1/4 cup white onion minced
1/4 pound ground beef
1/4 pound ground veal
1/4 poundground pork
1 large egg
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cardamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
1. Soak the bread crumbs in the half and half for 5 minutes in a 2. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small skillet over low to When the foam starts to subside, add the onions and sauté them for about 2 minutes.
Let cool slightly.
3. Add the beef, veal, pork, egg nutmeg, cardamon, cloves, salt, pepper, and onions Gently combine the ingredients with your hands.
4. Cover the bowl and refrigerate the mixture for a couple of hours.
5. Shape the meat mixture with your hands into uniform balls, about the size of a golf ball. Arrange them on a plate in one layer so they do not touch each other.
Let the meatballs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
6. Melt the remaining butter in a sauté pan or skillet over When the foam starts to subside, add the meatballs.
(Do not crowd the pan; unless your pan is oversized, you will have to cook the meatballs in batches and keep the cooked ones warm in a preheated 200 degree F oven.) Saute the meatballs for about 5 minutes until they become brown on all sides.
Turn them as necessary, but do so gently.
7. Transfer the 'koettbullar' to a warm platter and serve over broad noodles, mashed potatoes or as an appetizer.