Sam’s Famous Carrot Cake
*Cream Cheese frosting recipe follows*
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt 2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut (I left this out)
1 cup chopped walnuts (I left them out)
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with
1 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x12
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well.
Add flour mixture and mix well.
4. In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, walnuts, pineapple
5. Using a large wooden spoon or a very heavy whisk, add carrot mixture
to batter and fold in well.
6. Pour into prepared 8x12 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F
(175 degrees C) for 1 hour. Check with toothpick.
7. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 tablespoons cream
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Blend together the cream cheese and cream until light and fluffy.
Sift the sugar, and add to the cream cheese blend.